IAB and "private" numbering

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Nov 15 23:07:30 UTC 2005

Geoff,

On Nov 13, 2005, at 9:14 AM, Geoff Huston wrote:
> This particular /8 allocation is described by IANA as "007/8   Apr
> 95   IANA - Reserved" in  http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-
> address-space while a whois query to the ARIN database reveals:
> $ whois 7.0.0.0
> RegDate:    1997-11-24
> Updated:    1998-09-26
> So in this case who is telling the truth? IANA or ARIN?

Well, IANA's registry claims data from 4/95 and ARIN's registry
claims data from 9/98.  I know which I would think would be telling
the truth.

>> Would we want to change whois output to include the 'pub/priv' flag?
> or "conflicting data" flag?

Nah.  The right answer is to synchronize the data somehow.  The data
could either be replicated or a referral could be provided.  Not
rocket science.

I think I can state authoritatively (:-)) that the IANA is aware of
(at least some of) the discrepancies and has address registry data
synchronization on its priority list.

Rgds,
-drc