Level3 Question

Lincoln Dale ltd at interlink.com.au
Sat Nov 12 06:31:58 UTC 2005

i think you misunderstand the h/w / s/w distinction here.

BGP is a 'control-plane'-driven protocol.  control-plane = software.

no vendor would have BGP "in hardware" per-se (although its forseeable
that they may have 'AS# accounting for netflow' in h/w and that may be
limited to addressing 16-bits).

"forwarding a packet" (i.e. data-plane path) is typically in h/w in many
{modern,large} routers.  even if the routing protocol is based on AS#s,
forwarding is typically based on a RIB creating a FIB.
a FIB typically doesn't contain AS# information as there is no need to -
you're not 'forwarding' on AS#, you're forwarding on Destination address.

i think the distinction of "old hardware" that the original poster was
trying to make was really one of things like RAM and Flash RAM space.
if we take "Cisco routers" as an example, it may be that 32-bit AS#
support mandates the use of the fictional IOS 12.666S software train
which probably won't fit in the 16MB RAM and 16MB FLash on a 15-year-old
c2500 series router.

cheers,

lincoln.
NB. obvious 12.666S is fictional.  don't try to read anything into that.
  and if its not obvious, no i'm not officially talking for Cisco.