[Arch-econ] Vint an interview you did with me in 1997 is being quoted on Nanog as reason to support the current so callednet neutrality bill

Gordon Cook cook at cookreport.com
Fri Nov 11 16:13:23 UTC 2005

Blaine:  This is about all I can offer under the circumstances.  It
is from page 45 of my nov-dec issue  published about sept 30.

you do ask a Reasonable question.

=======

 From Brett Glass on September 17 via Dave Farber’s IP List - Here it
comes: Regulation of the Internet and ISPs

Here’s some information on the broadband bill that’s about to pass
out of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. A bag of goodies for
the reconsolidating Baby Bells, it has lots of implications for
independent ISPs and WISPs -- not all of them good. For example, it
requires all broadband ISPs to register with the FCC and allows the
FCC to deny the application and prohibit it from offering service.
Yes, that’s right, folks; if this bill goes through, you must say,
“Mother, May I?” to be an ISP. It also requires all VoIP providers to
ask government permission to offer VoIP.

It also mandates E-911 services for VoIP, thus disadvantaging
independent VoIP providers. And it requires that VoIP providers be
able to provide geographic information about callers (which implies,
in turn, the ability to determine the physical location of any
Internet user). So much for privacy or anonymity on the Internet!

Other provisions (it’s a long, meaty bill) would likely give the
cable/ILEC duopoly major advantages over independent ISPs and WISPs.
Below is a Washington Post article on the bill, followed by a press
release from the Committee, followed by links to a brief analysis and
the text of the bill itself.

Draft Legislation Aims To Aid Competition In Broadband Services

By Arshad Mohammed Washington Post Staff Writer Friday, September 16,
2005; D02

A key House committee released draft legislation yesterday requiring
broadband providers to allow their subscribers to view any legal
online content, a policy aimed at keeping big Internet companies from
restricting access to competitors’ Web offerings.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee draft is a victory for
advocates of “net neutrality” -- the idea that Internet providers
have to stand aside and allow customers to access any Web pages as
long as the content is legal. The principle is considered crucial to
preserving the open nature of the Internet and preventing big
broadband providers from squeezing out smaller competitors that offer
voice, video or other services.

Another provision in the proposed law also makes it easier for
telephone companies to offer television over high-speed lines. It
seeks to free cable and telephone companies from having to negotiate
video franchises with numerous local authorities around the country,
instead giving the Federal Communications Commission more authority
over the process.

That would largely benefit the major telephone companies like Verizon
Communications Inc., SBC Communications Corp. and BellSouth Corp.,
which hope to offer television over fiber-optic lines. Yesterday,
officials at those companies reacted favorably to the legislation.

Other aspects of the draft legislation are aimed at making sure cable
and telephone companies get equivalent regulatory treatment as they
offer broadband Internet access.

The draft is a first salvo from the committee, which is led by Texas
Republican Joe Barton, in what is likely to be a lengthy battle in
Congress over any rewrite of the 1996 Telecommunications Act.

Article at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/
2005/09/15/AR2005091502257.html

Cook on November 11 There is more but I REALLY need to bow out now
that Vin't has given a current point of view.

I would certainly trust Brett Glass on this as well as David Isenberg
and Fred Goldstein to name a few

The COOK Report on Internet Protocol, 431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ
08618 USA
609 882-2572 (PSTN) 415 651-4147 (Lingo) cook at cookreport.com
Subscription
info: http://cookreport.com/subscriptions.shtml IMS and  an Internet