Peering VLANs and MAC addresses

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Fri Nov 11 13:44:25 UTC 2005

* randy at psg.com (Randy Bush) [Thu 10 Nov 2005, 03:35 CET]:
>[ the voice of experience speaks ]
[..]
>thanks!  this approaches reassuring.  why does it tolerate 100
>macs?  at first blush, i would think three or four would be a
>bad enough sign.

I've seen several cases where a router goes bonkers and spews a bunch of
broken frames - more than four but usually less than a hundred.  The
frames get dropped but the port doesn't get shut down.  I have a hunch
that it's connected with bad memory in the router, a pointer going awry
somewhere, using some payload to fill an Ethernet frame header.
Usually it goes away by itself without further outaged conditions.

So this could be a reason to set the limit at 100 instead of 4...
another could be that the default in Foundry MG8 firmware is 128.

Also, AMS-IX implemented port security almost three years ago (we've
presented about it at AMS-IX Technical Meetings, RIPE meetings and
Euro-IX Forums).

	-- Niels.

--
"Calling religion a drug is an insult to drugs everywhere.
 Religion is more like the placebo of the masses."