P2P & Skype traffic control in ISP networks

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Fri Nov 11 07:20:04 UTC 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: Joe Shen <joe_hznm at yahoo.com.sg>
To: NANGO <nanog at merit.edu>
Subject: P2P & Skype traffic control in ISP networks
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:11:42 +0800 (CST)
> it seems some ISPs have started to introduce
> management facilities into their networks. Is those
> products of carrier level?
>
> reference:
>

> http://webreprints.djreprints.com/1341970908457.html

: stipulate in their subscription contracts that
: customers can't use the company's high-speed Web-access
: networks for Internet calling—or may prohibit usage in
: the future. Several cable companies are using technology
: to cap the speed at which some of their customers can
: swap videos. A number of equipment companies are selling
: software and other products designed to block and monitor
: Internet applications such as phone calls, video and
: photo downloads.

That's the spirit!  Tell the customers "hell no, you can't
do that on our network!"  I heard from folks (who I hope are
competitors) that they want to implement this business plan
of customer non-satisfaction.  <mumble,mumble Monopolistic
Thinking mumble, mumble>

: on their networks, but he also says the FCC is looking
: into guidelines to protect consumers on this issue.

Oh yeah, it's another silly journalist that thinks the
internet is a US based toy and Just Doesn't Get It (JDGI).
Move along, nothing to see there...   >:-)

scott

ps.  Why nango, not nanog?