[Latest draft of Internet regulation bill]

Christian Kuhtz kuhtzch at corp.earthlink.net
Fri Nov 11 04:35:37 UTC 2005

On Nov 10, 2005, at 11:25 PM, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

> most likely... and video-on-demand sorts of things seem like the next
> problem child for bandwidth on the local link. (atleast in the
> short term)

That's what I believe, too.  And along with that, we have people
hungry for incremental revenue to pay for infrastructure upgrades and
go beyond the 'little Cu wire that could' *cough*.  To me, those are
fundamentally incompatible business models.. so, it'll be interesting
to see how that one shakes out.

>> is part of a general trend, unless this industry has reached a mature
>> plateau.  (which would be very sad, imho).
>
> just wait for ipv6 and toasters with webservers! :)

You realize that spelling out that 4 letter (well, 3+1) word on nanog
is like screaming fire in a crowded theatre, followed by no less than
2 wks of debate over the merits of multihomed toasters.  ;-)  We all
desperately need multipathing to ascertain the burntness of one's pop
tarts.

> Actually, as
> more things get a network stack I imagine more interconnection will
> occur
> requiring more bandwidth and taxing the infrastructure even more :)

Yes.  That is very true.  And question is what will happen with
liability once even more clue exempt manufacturers will enter the
ring.  Capitol hill seems hell bent on wanting to tag ISPs (or BITS!
*groan*) with that liability.

Somehow, it feels like the wild west days are over.  Or am I just
getting old?  I think when inet turns into a pstn regime, I'll switch
to basket weaving.

Best regards,
Christian