[Latest draft of Internet regulation bill]

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Fri Nov 11 04:25:10 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Christian Kuhtz wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2005, at 11:08 PM, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Christian Kuhtz wrote:
> >

> >> So, there was a time when everyone said 'good grief, what would
> >> anyone do with 1.5mbps', and where in turn engineered bitrates ended
> >> up being several orders of magnitude lower.  In fact, we all were
> >> worried what would happen to our POPs and backbone when 1.5mbps
> >> consumers showed up in volume back in the '98 timeframe.
> >>

> > oops ;) my point wasn't that bandwidth wasn't necessary over X
> > speed, it
> > was that the main motivator for consumer purchase was no long
> > bandwidth
> > but price alone.
> >
> > Sorry for the confusion.
>
> It's ok.  We're all cornfused.
>
> But, seriously, if all that emerged and mattered today is 'value
> brand', isn't it just indicative of the fact that consumers just
> haven't found the next cool bw annihilating thing yet?  I doubt this

most likely... and video-on-demand sorts of things seem like the next
problem child for bandwidth on the local link. (atleast in the short term)

> is part of a general trend, unless this industry has reached a mature
> plateau.  (which would be very sad, imho).

just wait for ipv6 and toasters with webservers! :) Actually, as
more things get a network stack I imagine more interconnection will occur
requiring more bandwidth and taxing the infrastructure even more :)