[Latest draft of Internet regulation bill]

Christian Kuhtz kuhtzch at corp.earthlink.net
Fri Nov 11 04:21:06 UTC 2005

On Nov 10, 2005, at 11:08 PM, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Christian Kuhtz wrote:
>

>> So, there was a time when everyone said 'good grief, what would
>> anyone do with 1.5mbps', and where in turn engineered bitrates ended
>> up being several orders of magnitude lower.  In fact, we all were
>> worried what would happen to our POPs and backbone when 1.5mbps
>> consumers showed up in volume back in the '98 timeframe.
>>

> oops ;) my point wasn't that bandwidth wasn't necessary over X
> speed, it
> was that the main motivator for consumer purchase was no long
> bandwidth
> but price alone.
>
> Sorry for the confusion.

It's ok.  We're all cornfused.

But, seriously, if all that emerged and mattered today is 'value
brand', isn't it just indicative of the fact that consumers just
haven't found the next cool bw annihilating thing yet?  I doubt this
is part of a general trend, unless this industry has reached a mature
plateau.  (which would be very sad, imho).

Best regards,
Christian