[Latest draft of Internet regulation bill]

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Fri Nov 11 01:47:59 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Blaine Christian wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2005, at 5:56 PM, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> >
> > Begin forwarded message:
> >
> > From: Brett Glass <brett at lariat.org>
> > Date: November 9, 2005 10:43:40 AM EST
> >
> > Here's the latest draft of the Internet
> > regulation bill, dated November 3rd. Note that, like earlier
> > versions, it subjects all ISPs and VoIP providers to intensive
> > Federal regulation and requires them to register before providing
> > service. It also pre-empts state and local control over rights of
> > way. For the draft text, see
> >
> > http://energycommerce.house.gov/108/news/11032005_Broadband.pdf
> >
> > --Brett Glass
>

> Well,
>
> I have to admit I like this part... It somewhat addresses my concerns
> about the monopolies that Chris Morrow and Sean Donelan are
> perpetrating on us (just kidding guys...).

you are an evil man :)

> Since port 80 and port 25 are lawful services everyone offering
> broadband will have to drop filters and provide full routing!  Can
> you hear me now?  Why yes, port 80 and port 25 are open, of course I
> can hear you.

Interesting, the filtering in question (for uunet atleast, SBC is in a
slightly different position) is put in place at request of the customer,
who might be 'protecting' their customer (radius port 25 filtering). I
wonder who's responsibility this situation covers?

> ---snip-----
>
> SEC. 104. ACCESS TO BITS.
> (a) DUTIES OFPROVIDERS.—Subject to subsection2
> (b), each BITS provider has the duty—3
> (1) not to block, impair, or interfere with the4
> offering of, access to, or the use of any lawful con-5
> tent, application, or service provided over the Inter-6
> net;7
>
> --end snip----

What about outside the boundaries of the USofA? Hrm... good thing all that
legislation we put in place is cleaning up the 'bad content' all over the
Internet... Wait, it's not :( Legislation isn't the answer to this
problem, unfortunately the gov't hasn't realized this completely :(