Peering VLANs and MAC addresses

Blaine Christian blaine at blaines.net
Thu Nov 10 12:45:28 UTC 2005

On Nov 9, 2005, at 7:49 PM, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Robert Kiessling wrote:
>
>> Which rule would you suggest for the IXP? The naive "connect
>> only routers" wouldn't do of course in nowaday's world of
>> hybrids.
>
> yick hybrids...

I like watching some of those hybrids boot though.  It is fun to
watch all the different layers of processors send their little boot
messages to the console.  It is so very reassuring to know that it
takes an 8 layered cake to make my router function.

I had a few of 7609s at one network and I was, actually, quite happy
with the performance.   We had one failure of an OC12 card and that
was it as I recall.  Of course this tells me very little about
performance in "bad" situations.  If we had had a network meltdown it
would have been interesting to observe the behavior of those switches
in comparison to the other equipment.

It felt very weird building VLANs inside a router (and I made sure we
only did it once so I would not wake up at night and scream).

We used RPR+ which was pretty nice.  And you pretty much can't shake
a stick at an interface card without it popping up with an Ethernet
interface.

I should probably summarize a bit...

a. I still don't really like hybrids and feel they are too disjointed
in their approach to survive in the long term.
b. The 7609 hybrid was not nearly as bad as I feared.
c. I would likely NOT purchase a hybrid if I could avoid it.
d. You will probably find that a hybrid is the most cost effective
option and will have to fight your finance folks who know a thing or
two about routers and switches!  Well, I should say they know
whatever the vendor is telling them behind your back<grin>.
e. You may not have to fight with finance as you may personally
realize that you want another toy and purchasing the hybrid leaves
you with enough capital to purchase the other toy and take the
potential issues as a risk.