Comments or suggestions required Internap FCP 500 vs. OER

Matt Buford matt at overloaded.net
Thu Nov 10 03:12:45 UTC 2005

> We're looking at possibly purchasing a Internap FCP500,
> everything I hear about these boxes is good. We are simultaneously

I have no experience with OER, but I have had a FCP5000 for a while now.  We
have numerous transit links, all of which have significantly more burst
capacity than we actually use (or commit to).  To some extent it is a bit
magical and I don't always understand how it decides the "target" traffic
level for a link, but in general it works great.  Since installing it we've
pretty much done away with any other regular BGP changes to balance traffic.
It does a good job of keeping out many transit links all below commit unless
total traffic exceeds all commits.

In general, I'm skeptical that it is really providing much of a performance
boost.  However, it does a good job at balancing traffic levels and that is
the main value we get from the product.  It was basically a "fire and
forget" system.  Once installed, we were able to just forget about traffic
engineering and only touch things when adding/removing a link (or for
special situations like manually routing around bad paths).

If you'd like technical information about how it works or the potential
scaling issues that can result let me know what you're interested in and I
can expand a bit.