Peering VLANs and MAC addresses

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Wed Nov 9 21:47:32 UTC 2005

On 9-Nov-2005, at 16:35, Randy Bush wrote:

>> IX---SwitchA---SwitchB---Router
>
> ok, i gotta ask.  you folk really do this on exchanges?

I seem to think I've seen people doing this at most exchanges ISC has
installed an F-root node at. The motivation is usually the avoidance
of either expense ports on exchange switches, or the avoidance of
expensive ports on routers (trunking the IX in as a vlan to a router
on an existing port).

I'm not saying that the practice is good, or recommended, or without
peril. But it's certainly not isolated to the UK.

Joe