classful routes redux

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Wed Nov 9 19:02:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 04:29:18PM +0100, Per Heldal wrote:
> ... which is why I specifically said "no intention to ever connect to,
> or communicates with nodes on, the global network". In which case
> overlaps in adressblocks are irrelevant, as are any mention of NAT and
> firewalls as there is no connection (direct or indirect) between the
> networks.

(1) Intentions change.  As does ownership and therefore required
    connectivity.

(2) Unique name spaces (from IP address or ASN spaces) are also used to
    verify that there is no leakage between two internets which one
    desires to keep separate.  From a technical point of view, that may
    be considered a waste of the name spaces that could be used
    redundantly on both networks; from a security point of view ... it's
    one way to get the job done.

I do think that hundreds of ASNs fall in these categories, I can't guess
whether thousands do.

--
Joe Yao