Networking Pearl Harbor in the Making

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Nov 7 22:05:36 UTC 2005

On Nov 7, 2005, at 11:15 AM, Tom Sands wrote:

> We have that exact problem, if one considers it to be a problem.
> We have only vendor X, and we've often wanted to try out others.
> However, the management arguments and opinions are often difficult
> to sway.

Something that often makes management understand the benefit is
explaining how much more attentive your current vendor will become
once you start implementing a competing vendor. I have had vendor
that would barely give me the time of day suddenly give me 2-3 full
time onsite SEs, a large pile of onsite spares, an additional 5-7%
blanket discount, free training credits, T-shirts and and around
$750k of "free" hardware to try and stop me moving to their
competitor (as tempting as it may be, don't just cry wolf to get free
stuff though!)

> For one, we have very few problems that are ever seen by customers
> or management.

Well, in that case you should make sure that you are keeping
management informed as to the deficiencies of the current vendor  -
as long as you know that your replacement vendor will not have
similar issues :-)

> So, convincing them that diversity could buy us better reliability
> is near impossible.  Then the additional cost of training and spare
> equipment.

Talk to the new vendor - most vendors will be more than happy to give
you free training credits to get you as a new customer, same goes for
spares. Play up the free training to management - explain the
importance of ongoing education, how eager the network engineers are
to learn more, etc. This way they can give everyone training with no
out of pocket expense!

> We also have the customer opinions/perception to deal with
> (accompanied by marketing), where they think having a "Cisco
> Powered Network"  would automatically mean it's the best.

I think that you might be pleasantly surprised by the increasing clue
factor of your customers - they will understand that best-of-breed
means that you get to choose the best device for the purpose. Your
customers are involved in technology - while some of them like Linux
and some like Windows, they all understand that different
technologies have different strengths and weaknesses (ok, so maybe a
true Linux zealot won't agreee that Windows is useful for anything -
maybe emacs vs vi... hmmm, maybe not that either...)

> Despite not having service impacting problems, we do have a number
> of "bugs", however would those issues get better or worse when
> having to deal with multiple vendors, various platforms per vendor,
> and inter-operability?

With multiple vendors you get to choose the device that best fits the
requirements - if devices from multiple vendors fit equally well, you
get to choose the one with the fewest bugs. You suddenly also have a
lot more pull with your vendor to get your current "bugs" addressed.

I personally haven't found interoperability to be a major issue
(providing you are not relying on any proprietary protocols) - the
ability to choose the best device for the task more than pays for
any interoperability concerns - you also get to call up the vendors
and say "Fix this or I'm replacing it with a $other_vendor box".

There are also some things that certain vendors just don't do well -
being limited to just choosing devices from a single vendor limits
what you can do.

Warren

>> Well, the last time I just whined a lot ? <grin>
>> Seriously, we actually put together a presentation that described
>> a  series of major events that have occurred through the use of
>> monoculture networks/systems and stated that for many financial/
>> security reasons it is best to maintain at least two vendors.
>> We covered the following
>> o Security Implications:  How monoculture networks/operating
>> systems  are prone to attack.
>> o Financial Impact:  How managing multiple vendors can reduce
>> long  term expense.
>> o Stability:  How monoculture networks/systems are prone to
>> network/ system wide failures.
>> o Viability: How existing technology is capable of interop and
>> how  we, the engineering team, were capable of making it happen.
>> o Customer demand: How our customers actually "felt better" about
>> our  service as a result of it's genetic diversity.
>>

> We covered only a couple of these areas, and maybe addressing some
> of the others might make a better case.
>

>> Regards,
>> Blaine
>>

> --