Networking Pearl Harbor in the Making

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Mon Nov 7 18:25:51 UTC 2005

The problem is that generally, things have to get *really* bad before
people will switch to a more secure infrastructure...it's all about
costs, and the cost of staying with a less secure platform must
substantially exceed the cost of switching before it's considered a
reasonable response. It takes big numbers to overcome intertia.

A decent parallel is gas prices - people didn't stop buying SUVs in
significant numbers until the price of gas broke $2 a gallon. And it
wasn't until we hit $3 before people started trading in their Hummers.
Again, the cost of maintaining the status quo had to get *really* painful
to overcome the inertia of staying there.

This is already happening on the server side (see the growth rates for
Linux vs. Windows server software), but it hasn't happened yet there on
the network infrastructure side, primarily because the 'net has
yet to see a real large-scale security incident involving network
hardware. Yeah, Slammer maxed out the flow tables on a bunch of boxes, but
the routers themselves weren't targets. And swapping out network infrastructure
in many cases far more costly than migrating server OSes, particularly for
us folks for whom the network IS our product.

Thus, I feel that it's going to take a wide-scale exploit *of the
routers themselves* causing large-scale outages before enough people
switch to make the vendor feel any real pain directly related the failure
to secure the infrastructure. Only then will we begin to see our
networks become truly more secure.

-C