Networking Pearl Harbor in the Making

J. Oquendo sil at politrix.org
Mon Nov 7 16:56:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Blaine Christian wrote:

> Don't use proprietary protocols and insist on interoperability.
> Then make them play nice together!

Good luck getting vendors to do something a-la "Open Standards" and
withdrawing from labeling their product better because of "new and
improved *PIMP* F(ool)u-ness!" So Cisco rewrote RIP to IGRP then to EIGRP
patented "extended rip!" capabilities and made a profit. I blame those who
were conned into falling for the bait because now they're stuck on that
fish hook. But also those who failed to adapt and change faster are to be
blamed. But what can you expect from a bunch of underappreciated
volunteers. Where can I send a Starbucks coffee platter for those
engineers in some upcoming event?

J. Oquendo
GPG Key ID 0x97B43D89
http://mo.fscker.com :: Obscurity through Insecurity

"How can we account for our present situation unless we
believe that men high in this government are concerting
to deliver us to disaster?" Joseph McCarthy "America's
Retreat from Victory"