BGP terminology question

NetSecGuy netsecguy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 18:05:32 UTC 2005

I asked this question on inet-access and it was suggested I try NANOG.

I understand BGP flapping to be announcements followed by withdraws over a
short period. I am seeing a peer with a large number of announcements and
the normal number of withdraws. Is there a term to describe what I am
seeing? I'd like to understand what is happening, but I've been looking for
more info and can't seem to find anything. I suspect I am just not using the
right words to search.

If there isn't a term, why would a peer announce thousands of time an hour
with very few withdraws?