classful routes redux

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Fri Nov 4 17:43:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 09:57:14AM -0500, Joe Abley wrote:
> On 4-Nov-2005, at 09:07, Russ White wrote:
>
> >- -- BGP is currently moving to a 2^32 space for AS numbers. That's
> >odd,
> >if there's only 18,044 origins in the current table, and it won't ever
> >grow to much more--how'd we lose 40,000 or so AS numbers, that we now
> >need more than 64,000?
>
> http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0510/huston.as.html
> http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0510/wilhelm.html

Per the latter -

"...  We show that this is due to two effects: (1) ASNs which are
assigned based on future plans but never used in practice, and (2) ASNs
which are no longer in use but not returned to the RIRs. If all these
unused ASNs could be recovered, the pool of ASNs would last until 2025
to 2030.  ..."

What about those that are assigned and used but not [currently] visible
on the public Internet [i.e., are on other internets]?

--
Joe Yao