Equal access to content

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu Nov 3 09:06:05 UTC 2005

Sean Donelan wrote:
> Should content suppliers be required to provide equal access to all
> networks?  Or can content suppliers enter into exclusive contracts?

Erm .. the content 'belongs' to the supplier, why shouldn't they be
allowed to chose who can and can't get access to it.

The electronic retailer I work for deny access to all content that they
own/supply to several networks, as a matter of policy.  Noone should be
able to tell us that we have to start supplying it.  We also give some
third-parties more content based on commercial relationships in place.

Similarly, google own all of the data that they've
crawled/indexed/archived - why shouldn't they be able to hold that data
to ransom.

Why shouldn't google be able to supply extra content to networks that it
runs ?

[...]
 > What rules should exist on how Google operates?  Or is it just
 > traditionally lobbying?  Google says regulate the other guy, but
 > not itself.  The other guys say regulate Google, but not them.

So google charge for their data (either by subscription, or forcing
users to join GoogleNet to get access to what they want).  Fine.  If
Google do, someone else will be perfectly willing to crawl/index/archive
a new set of data.  And many webmasters will be quick to deny access to
google's spider.

-a