Using BGP to force inbound and outbound routing through particular routes

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Nov 2 23:34:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 03:21:15PM -0800, Joe McGuckin wrote:

> RAS,
>
> I have to admit that I'm guilty of using the phrase "class C" more or less
> interchangably with "/24" - I suspect a lot of us still do that...

Well, on behalf of the entire networking community, I hereby ask you to
stop it. :)

It's just a bad habit, and while you may know exactly what it means and
doesn't mean, it does nothing but confuse new people about how and why
classless routing works. It is absolutely absurd that so many people still
teach classful routing FIRST to new students in this day and age, and then
approach classless routing like it is something new and different which
should be considered as an afterthought.

Just remember, the people you confuse today are the ones who are going to
be announcing their legacy erm "class B" allocations as /24s tomorrow,
because they don't know any better.