cogent+ Level(3) are ok now

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Nov 2 20:44:20 UTC 2005

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> Yes with enough time and energy (or a small enough network) you *can* beat
> perfect MEDs out of the system (and your customers). You can selectively
> deaggregate the hell out of your network, then you can zero out all the
> known aggregate blocks and regions that are in the middle of two
> MED-speaking interconnection points, and get your customers to tag
> aggregate blocks announced in multiple locations so that you can zero out
> those MEDs. With enough time and energy anything is possible, the point is
> that most folks don't consider it to be worth the time, let alone the
> customer anger when it degrades your traffic.

I came up with a reasonably scalable solution using communities and
route-map continue, but:

CSCsc36517
Externally found severe defect: New (N)
Bus Error reload after configure route-map and then clear bgp neighbor

Release-note:
When a bgp route-map is configured on the router and then "clear ip bgp
neighbor.." command is executed router experiences Unexpected Reload due
to Bus Error. Currently there is no other workaround other than to
prevent executing the "clear ip bgp neighbor" command.

...kinda gets in my way.  For what it's worth, it doesn't even require
"clear ip bgp <ne>" to crash the box.

Joy.

pt