cogent+ Level(3) are ok now

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Nov 1 23:48:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:46:20 EST, John Payne said:

> That is something that has always confused me about ratio based
> peering disputes.
> Surely it is the responsibility of the content-sucking network to
> build and engineer to meet the demands of *their* customers (and
> build the cost of doing that into the pricing model).   It appears to
> me that the content heavy networks are going above and beyond to work
> around the broken model that the content-suckers have.
>
> What am I missing?

Obviously, the same thing that management at SBC is missing:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B5A606A5A%2D18D7%2D4FC9%2DA65C%2DC7317BC7E1CB%7D&siteid=mktw

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) --- The chief executive of SBC Communications Inc.
thinks companies doing business on the Internet, such as Microsoft Corp. and
Vonage Inc., are due for a wake-up call.

"How do you think they're going to get to customers? Through a broadband pipe.
Cable companies have them. We have them," said Ed Whitacre in a BusinessWeek
Online interview. "What they would like to do is use my pipes for free. I ain't
going to let them do that."

He argued that because SBC and others have invested to build high-speed
networks, they are due a return.

"There's going to have to be some mechanism for these people ... to pay for the
portion they're using. Why should they be allowed to use my pipes?" He offered
no details how his idea could be accomplished.

For an Internet company to "expect to use these pipes free is nuts!" Whitacre
added for good measure.