Administration Asks Appeals Court To Compel ISP Searches

Jason Frisvold xenophage0 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 20:01:50 UTC 2005

On 5/31/05, Chris Ranch <CRanch at affinity.com> wrote:
> I just reread the article, and realized I got it wrong.  There is some
> paperwork: "The ruling came in a lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties
> Union and an Internet access firm that received a national security
> letter (NSL) from the FBI demanding records."
>
> So, the NSL isn't judge or grand jury authorized, just the FBI
> investigator.

Yeah, I guess I missed that too..  I wonder what an NSL looks like...
Here's some info on them tho :

http://www.selfstorage.org/pdf/WhatisNationalSecurityLetter.pdf

> Do you double-check sups back to the signing judge?  Does anyone?

We generally call to verify the authenticity...  And we ususally wind
up calling to inform them that they've given insufficient information,
or asked for something we can't provide...  It's fun when you get one
that requests the IP address of the user and all they give you is a
screen name.  *sigh*

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
XenoPhage0 at gmail.com