More on Moscow power failure( was RE: Moscow: global power outage)

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Sat May 28 15:20:12 UTC 2005

On 2005-05-26, at 07:12, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:

> The Russian media have lots of details about the power
> outage, but the general media hardly mentions the fact
> that there was a disruption of Internet service.
>
> The MSK-IX web page still has no news about the incident
> and no explanation as to why they shut down.

It's not clear to me that the MSK-IX shut down entirely, although it
does look like it took a major hit. While I see most of our MSK-IX
sessions came up around 2 days 3 hours ago we have at least one that
has been up for 4 weeks, suggesting that at least part of one of the
switch fabrics stayed up throughout.

The F root nameserver in Moscow is colocated with RIPN. Neither of
the nameservers in the F-root cluster there show signs of power
failure, in case it helps anybody else here to know of a site in
Moscow that has functional power supply protection.

F-root traffic graphs in Moscow suggest local impact was limited to a
5-6 hour window ending around midnight Tuesday UTC.

Joe