Stanford Hack Exposes 10,000

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu May 26 14:10:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 11:10:08AM +0100, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> > > Around about whenever the US Federal Government gets the hint and
> > > passes a bill which makes it illegal to use social security numbers
> > > for any purpose other than the administration of social security.
>
> Wrong answer. Federal laws do not stop people from doing stupid
> things and they do not stop people from doing illegal things.
>
> What we need is a Hollywood blockbuster in which some highschool
> hackers wreak havoc by aquiring SSNs from gradesheets and using
  /////// criminals
> mother's maiden names to steal lots of money and identities.
> Then, pointy-haired bosses will ask their sysadmins to make sure
> that it can't happen in their department.
>
> Hollywood movies change people's behavior. Federal laws do not.

"Mr President, did you see that movie about an Ebola outbreak in the US
a couple of years ago?"

"Yes...?"

"The budget for that movie was quite a bit more then the total annual
funding in the US to study Ebola and related viruses."

Cheers,
-- jr '</OT>' a

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me