Stanford Hack Exposes 10,000

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Thu May 26 10:10:08 UTC 2005

> > Around about whenever the US Federal Government gets the hint and
> > passes a bill which makes it illegal to use social security numbers
> > for any purpose other than the administration of social security.

Wrong answer. Federal laws do not stop people from doing stupid
things and they do not stop people from doing illegal things.

What we need is a Hollywood blockbuster in which some highschool
hackers wreak havoc by aquiring SSNs from gradesheets and using
mother's maiden names to steal lots of money and identities.
Then, pointy-haired bosses will ask their sysadmins to make sure
that it can't happen in their department.

Hollywood movies change people's behavior. Federal laws do not.

--Michael Dillon