BCP regarding TOS transparancy for internet traffic

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Thu May 26 00:56:12 UTC 2005

On 5/25/2005 4:27 PM, Lars Erik Gullerud wrote:

> The "general population", who does NOT pay for that privilege, gets the
> BE-treatment, which is what they pay for.

Overwriting the tos flags is not "best effort", it is "degraded service"

Oh sure, it might be BE on your specific network, but all the user sees is
loss of signal. IE, it was degraded.

> customers seem to understand that "you get what you pay for", and special
> treatment in the form of QoS costs more money.

Again, you are under no obligation to do anything with QoS flags from
non-paying customers, and I'm not advocating for anybody to get a free
ride here. Ignore the markings, but leave them alone too.