BCP regarding TOS transparancy for internet traffic

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Wed May 25 19:42:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Eric A. Hall wrote:

> On 5/25/2005 2:50 PM, Saku Ytti wrote:
>
>>  Beatiful idea, how in practice do you suggest this is done, how will
>> my router know if it should just ignore the TOS bytes or do expedited
>> forwarding as configured for given value of TOS byte?
>
> VLANs? Different route paths? Any of a dozen other ways to limit special
> processing to the networks that have paid for it and dump everybody else
> into the best-effort pool?

So what you are saying is basically that ISPs should NOT offer any premium
service at all over their internet access products, and only do so over
dedicated provider-based VPNs, be it on L2 or L3 (MPLS/2547)? How about
VoIP, should we build a parallell internet for that if we want to actually
treat the traffic preferentially? If not, how do you propose we do NOT
honor the traffic that we have NOT gotten paid for but that someone has
merely tagged with a DSCP they know we will treat better?

I.e. my customer with two offices who run their own IPSec tunnel between,
should in other words no longer be able to pay me for improved delivery
without buying a full VPN offering from me (which they don't really need,
or want)?

/leg