IDS/DDOS prevention hardware that doesnt cost $80,000+?

trainier at kalsec.com trainier at kalsec.com
Wed May 25 14:29:57 UTC 2005

Any firewall/router that supports ratelimiting should suffice for most
DDoS mitigation tactics.  A program called snort (layer 7 content
filtering) should take care of
most of your IDS needs as well.

"Drew Weaver" <drew.weaver at thenap.com>
Sent by: owner-nanog at merit.edu
05/25/2005 10:45 AM

<nanog at merit.edu>
cc

Subject
IDS/DDOS prevention hardware that doesnt cost $80,000+?

            I?m wondering if there is such an animal out there? All of the
ones I have seen are made for the multi-gigabit service provider there
aren?t any for the smaller mid-rangers out there. Can anyone suggest
anything that we can put in place? The attacks we?re seeing are just a
huge influx of PPS not so much the amount of bandwidth.

Offlist to keep chatter low is fine with me.

Sorry to be a bother,

-D