Vulnerability Issue in Implementations of the DNS Protocol

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Tue May 24 15:02:18 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 2:57 pm, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:
> UNIRAS (UK Gov CERT)/NISCC:
> http://www.niscc.gov.uk/niscc/docs/al-20050524-00433.html

Seems to be similar to an issue discussed on Bugtraq in 1999 where they looked
to exploit the recursive nature of some DNS decompression implementations to
create a loop in the decompression code. At the time BIND wasn't vulnerable,
which doesn't stop client side code being vulnerable, but would have
mitigated the problem then.

Still we could do with some more details, although I guess enough detail to
start checking source code for the dedicated.