soBGP deployment

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Mon May 23 18:15:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 14:00 -0400, Daniel Golding wrote:

> I suspect the right thing to do is to ask why soBGP and sBGP have failed?
>
> And yes, they've failed. Just like DNSSec, we aren't seeing even limited
> adoption. Why? Too complex, too many moving parts, too much reliance on iffy
> third parties and requires mass adoption.
>
> I suggest that the community finds something that gives us most of what we
> want, is simple to understand, and can be implemented in a piece-wise
> fashion. Look at SPF - not perfect, but certainly useful. It is simple, easy
> to implement, and IS being implemented.

<sidetrack>

SPF gets implemented by a few. I won't implement it simply because it
will break my mailsetup because the mechanism format does not allow
optional mechanisms to be defined eg, if I would use in DNS:
 "v=spf1 ip6:2001:db8::/48 -all"
Any host which implements SPF checks but does not know how to do ip6
checks, even though the message went 100% through an IPv6 only path will
drop the mail in the trashcan, even though the mail is 100% legit.
But this is a non-issue of course as everybody uses IPv6 only... just
like nobody uses DNSSec and other cool toys.

</sidetrack>

<SNIP>
> Why not do something simple? The in-addr.arpa reverse delegation tree is
> pretty accurate. We use it for lots of different things. Why not just give
> IP address blocks a new RR (or use a TXT record) to identify ASN? This
> solves the biggest problem we have right now, which is stealing of address
> blocks. It requires little processor overhead, and only a few additional DNS
> lookups. Its reasonably foolproof.

<sarcastic smiling comment> But you are the fool here </sa....>

So your router boots and receives a prefix and then you are going to
check using the just received prefix if it is legit to be sent from that
ASN, remember that it was just faked :) Or do it before you get it and
thus don't have a route...

L3 on L3 dependencies don't work unfortunately.

I am really glad the IETF has a lot of people who catch above things
quite easily because of expertise and experience.

Btw "pretty accurate" is not good enough unfortunately...

Greets,
 Jeroen