soBGP deployment

Larry J. Blunk ljb at merit.edu
Mon May 23 14:10:34 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 16:03 -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>   Look at it this way: do you think that (a) most
> sites will publish their policies in the registry, and (b) they'll
> remember to update them?  As Randy has noted, we have a decade of
> experience suggesting that neither is true.

   There's a very simple reason why registries have not been
kept up to date over the past decade -- many operators do
not use them for generating their policy configurations.  Given
this situation, it's difficult to draw any conclusions
from the last decade.  If you look back to the NSFNet days
(prior to a decade ago) and the PRDB (Policy Routing Database),
you might very well draw a different conclusion.  The PRDB was
kept up to date because a database entry was required to
transit the NSFNet.

   This is not to imply that registries should play anything
more than an interim role.   Nonetheless, there would seem
to be opportunities to improve current operational practices
until more secure solutions are deployed.

 -Larry Blunk
  Merit