dns for private domain

Peter & Karin Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Sat May 21 09:34:16 UTC 2005

Hi all,

You absolutely need a root.zone and a root.zone file

To see what a root.zone file looks like download one.

http://www.kokoom.com/iason/iason70.html
http://iason.site.voila.fr/iason70.html

show several ways how to get one.

The IASON project may be helpful:

http://www.kokoom.com/iason/
http://iason.site.voila.fr/

> I set up a DNS (named it as "lab.com") server in the
> lab and it seems to be working fine; I can resolve
> hostnames on my linux box and window box, but on Sun
> Solaris machine I got "non-exist domain" error.
> Anything specific for the Solaris' resolver or I need
> to do some extra on my DNS configuration?

You must enter your nameserver in the root.zone file.

Dont let it be "hint" but make ist "master"

The root.zone is a normal zone like any other. Dont get
afraid of that single "."

Whatever is not found will be looked up in the root.zone.
There must be a delegation to your existing zone. That is
all you need. Seeing a root.zone your solaris will run.

The only real problem comes up when you have workstations
that can see the outside. Which are the real root-servers?

> TIA
>
> Dave

Regards,

Peter and Karin Dambier