Underscores in host names

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Fri May 20 18:25:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, 20 May 2005 alex at yuriev.com wrote:

> It would be written "chto ti hochesh videti" or "chto ti xochesh
> videti". Russian transliterations are rather easy to follow since they are
> phonetic. We are not counting 3l33t speakers.
>
> When Russian is written using English letters, it is phonetic. The native
> speakers understand it. The non-native speakers look at it the same way as
> they view domain names that do not contain recognizable words.

Even in your own example you used "x" in place of "h" - this is not
phonetic but literal representation of russian letter "x". So while it
is for the most part phonetic, it really depends on who is writing
and I've yet to see two people use exactly the same transliteration of
russian in latin letters; as an example I would write above as
"chto ty hochesh videt'".

Oh, and did I mention that written cyrillic russian difers from spoken
language and as it regularly has ambigous soft/hard sounds transliterated
only as hard. When transliterating to latin many do it from spoken language
sounds, so don't be surprised to see "shto ty hochesh videt'" (which might
turn into "wto ty hochew videt" for those few who represent "sh" as "w"
because letters are visually similar eventhough sounds are not) and then
others do it the other way around making everything hard and even getting
rid of yat' derived letters - "chto ti hochesh videt".

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net