VerizonWireless.com Mail Blacklists

Steve Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Fri May 20 05:05:28 UTC 2005

Crist Clark wrote:

> It appears VerizonWireless.com has some rather aggressive mail filters.
> Verizon.net's blocking of Europe, Asia, Africa... well, everything but
> North America has made some headlines and even some lawsuits. Anyone
> know if VerizonWireless.com and Verizon.net are independent operations
> from an SMTP point of view? Verizon.net has,
>
>     http://verizon.net/whitelist
>
> And I haven't found an equivalent for VerizonWireless.com. And given
> the differences in Verizon.net's and VerizonWireless.com's MX setup,
> I doubt they use common resources.

They're different companies. I'm pretty sure they have different server farms
and corporate policies. Verizon owns 100% of Verizon.net and only 55% of
Verizon Wireless.

But that's not to say they don't share information.

I'm going to forward this to an acquaintance I have at Verizon.net and see what
he says.

> FWIW, it really looks like an IP-based blacklist. From our main mail
> server to any of their MX hosts, the 25/tcp connection completes, but
> then their server drops the connection, no banner, no nothing. I get
> a banner and can send mail to their servers from other IP addresses
> outside of that network. My guess is that they're using SPEWS? We're
> collateral damage in a SPEWS block.

I'll find out for you (hopefully).

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol at JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

     --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"