Underscores in host names

Peter & Karin Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Thu May 19 12:00:44 UTC 2005

/etc/hosts:

217.29.76.4       IT2.MIX-IT.NET  IT2.MIX-IT.NET.

Why?

Because programmes like
check_soa from the O'Reilly book "DNS and BIND" or
sendmail
believe it makes sense to force a dot at the end of
every name they look up.

There are nameservers in the root zone file that DNS will
not find. /etc/hosts is the only way to get them.
Dont forget to have both names with and without dot.

That is horrible, but I have to live with it

Regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier

--
Peter und Karin Dambier