Experiences with 911 calls and SIP

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Wed May 18 17:52:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Dan Lockwood wrote:

> I'm having a discussion with one of my vendors about the 911
> capabilities of their SIP VoIP phone system.  The vendor says that if we
> use an Enhanced 911 service that their phone system will transmit
> location information to the PSAP at the time of the call in addition to
> the ANI.  I was under the impression that this functionality was not
> possible, hence all the problems that Vonage is having.  Can anyone help
> clarify this for me?

Given the state of flux that VoIP is in right now regarding E911, your
best bet may be to set up the PBX at each site to route 911 to a bank of
two or three outgoing POTS lines.

(I will be very interested to find out what you eventually decide. In
addition to the work I'm doing at JustThe.net, I'm working at another
California school district, and our assistant IT director is talking about
possibly going VOIP in the next few years.)

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol at JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"