Experiences with 911 calls and SIP

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Wed May 18 15:47:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Dan Lockwood wrote:

> I'm having a discussion with one of my vendors about the 911
> capabilities of their SIP VoIP phone system.  The vendor says that if we
> use an Enhanced 911 service that their phone system will transmit
> location information to the PSAP at the time of the call in addition to
> the ANI.  I was under the impression that this functionality was not
> possible, hence all the problems that Vonage is having.  Can anyone help
> clarify this for me?
Are you buying just the hardware or the service as well?

If you are buying some voice-related service, there's absolutely no reason
why they *can't* be transmitting ALI/PS (that's location identification)
along with the ANI when 911 call is placed.

The reason Vonage didn't do it is because they a) didn't want to do it b)
didn't have to do it. Both have now changed and Vonage is busily working
on e911 integration.

-alex