what will all you who work for private isp's be doing in a few years?

Joe Loiacono jloiacon at csc.com
Thu May 12 18:32:45 UTC 2005

So imagine a residential area all pulling digital video over wireless.
Sound familiar? Ironically close to TV! (yet so different)

What I can't understand is why multicast hasn't just gone gangbusters into
use yet. I see it as a really pent-up capability that, in light of
broadband video, etc., is just going to have to break wide open soon.

Joe

                      Ross Hosman
                      <rosshosman              To:      Steve Sobol <sjsobol at JustThe.net>, Fred Heutte <aoxomoxoa at sunlightdata.com>
                      @yahoo.com>              cc:      nanog at nanog.org
                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: what will all you who work for private isp's be doing in a few years?
                      owner-nanog

                      05/12/2005 02:16
                      PM

Not pointing any fingers but many of you think these
small ISP's are just going to die off instead of
adapt. Wireless is becoming a better and more reliable
technology that in the future will be able to provide
faster service then FTTH. I know of atleast one small
ISP in Michigan that went from dial-up to deploying
wireless. With WiMAX coming out I think you will see a
number of smaller ISPs switching to it as a service.
It is also much cheaper to deploy a wireless network.

Me personally, I think wireless is the future for
residential internet/tv/phone.

Ross Hosman
Charter Communcations