what will all you who work for private isp's be doing in a few years?

Jerry Pasker info at n-connect.net
Wed May 11 20:46:49 UTC 2005

>You mean those of us who ARE private isps?
>
>Probably doing what we are doing today, reacting to the
>enviroment.

Amen.

And, might I add, doing it faster and more efficiently (although on a
smaller scale) than any BigCo can.

(I feel like troll bait... but will elaborate sense others have taken
up this thread.)

In the world of slow moving BigCo dinosaurs, I'm just a little
quickly adapting rodent looking for scraps.  Right now, the
efficiencies of big business leave plenty of scraps for the taking.
If the getting gets to difficult, there are plenty of other things
that I'm over qualified to do.  Some days, I think those "other
things" would pay better, and be more satisfying.

But alas, I knew that when I decided to start up this little ISP in
'96, with 8 modems, a couple of Macs, and a 2511.  I knew that if the
internet ever got popular and main stream enough, Big Co would jump
in, and make it impossible to compete.  I figured "Oh, what the heck,
I might as well give it a go."  And yes, that's happened on several
fronts, but at each turn, I find new and different things that I can
do, and do better, and cheaper than BigCo.  If I'm forced all the way
out of the market, fine... I'll adapt.  If my company goes away
because it can't offer what people want, so be it.  I'll find
something else to do.  So will my employees....they're all smart
enough to do different things, and knowing them all well, I know
they'd eventually welcome the change of scenery.

Any company that doesn't adapt, will go extinct.  ANY company.
(Unless it's a monopoly)   Capitalism, and free markets dictate this.
Living in a small town that recently had a major highway bypass it,
I've lost some popularity points for stating that.  Just because some
main street business has been there for 40 years, always doing it the
same way from when they started, they think they have some
God-given-right to be in business. In reality, it's quite the
opposite.  Every day a business does the exact same thing that it did
the day before, is one less day that company will be in business.
That should be the tag line of every small business.

-Jerry