what will all you who work for private isp's be doing in a few years?

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Wed May 11 20:12:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Matt Bazan wrote:

> why in the world would anyone want to purchase dsl from a private reseller
> when i can get 4mb down 384 up from comcast for $25?  think you dsl resellers
> out there are doomed.  in fact, just a matter of time before most of you isps
> are down the toilet.  im reminded of the mom and pop grocery store phenomenon
> that has now been replaced by the kohls, a&p, whole foods etc.  of course
> there will always be niche markets but this is less applicable for a pure
> commodity like bandwidth.  yeah, i suppose you'll say something about value
> added services and such and you may have a point but i doubt that will keep
> the ship afloat for long.

Matt,
 first whats your affiliation and experience in this arena? That these markets
exist and more profitably so than the large carriers suggest the problems you
are raising dont exist.

What is your theory based on, you only cite your personal preference to buy from
Comcast which cannot be said to be indicative of the market. Grocery stores are
not comparable, this is a different industry and different market. Also
bandwidth is not a pure commodity, and DSL is not pure bandwidth.

I think your argument is at best uninformed, at worst non-existent.. you need to
provide some references, examples, figures, whatever.. else this is little more
than trolling.

Steve