Internet Attack Called Broad and Long Lasting by Investigators

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 06:05:31 UTC 2005

This part:

    "The crucial element in the password thefts that provided access
     at Cisco and elsewhere was the intruder's use of a corrupted
     version of a standard software program, SSH. The program is used
     in many computer research centers for a variety of tasks,
     ranging from administration of remote computers to data transfer
     over the Internet."

reminds me of the SourceForge attack a few years back
http://www.apache.de/info/20010519-hack.html

-Jim P.