Google DNS problems?!?

Fergie (Paul Ferguson) fergdawg at netzero.net
Sun May 8 03:09:40 UTC 2005

Well, Matthew, my boy, it appears to have been more than a
simple spyware incident on a Mac or two.

If you're not part of the solution....

- ferg

-- "Matthew S. Hallacy" <poptix at poptix.net> wrote:
On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 02:18:19AM +0000, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

> Does anyone else think that its a bit odd that if it were simply
> "DNS problems" that a redirect for www.google.com would end up
> at a location which provided this:

All of the "hack" evidence is from people looking at a whois
query and fretting over:

  Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.SUCKS.FIND.CRACKZ.WITH.SEARCH.GULLI.COM
   IP Address: 80.190.192.24
   Registrar: KEY-SYSTEMS GMBH
   Whois Server: whois.rrpproxy.net
   Referral URL: http://www.key-systems.net

   Server Name: GOOGLE.COM.HAS.LESS.FREE.PORN.IN.ITS.SEARCH.ENGINE.THAN.SECZY.COM
   IP Address: 209.187.114.130
   Registrar: INNERWISE, INC. D/B/A ITSYOURDOMAIN.COM
   Whois Server: whois.itsyourdomain.com
   Referral URL: http://www.itsyourdomain.com

We've been over this before, whois queries also return nameservers,
which people take advantage of.

>  http://img179.echo.cx/img179/7959/googlehacked7to.jpg
>
> [or]
>
>  http://img241.echo.cx/img241/6208/googlemsn3lp.png
>
> Seems more than simple "DNS problems" to me.
>
> I hate being played like an idiot....
>
> - ferg

Wow, one person being redirected to a competitors site, ever heard of
spyware? (Yes, even on a Mac)