anycast and ddos

Fergie (Paul Ferguson) fergdawg at netzero.net
Fri May 6 17:03:53 UTC 2005

As one of the co-authors of RFC-2827, I'm assuming you
meant me -- if so, no apology needed.  :-)

I'm just sorry to have to see a "weakness" exploited which
could easily be "fixed"....

- ferg

ps. This also seems like a good time to mention (again)
"The Spoofer Project" at MIT:

 http://momo.lcs.mit.edu/spoofer/

[and]

 http://momo.lcs.mit.edu/spoofer/summary.php

-- Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

it seems that anycasting was quite insufficient to protect
netsol's service from being severely damaged (udp dead, tcp
worked) for a considerable length of time by a ddos [0] last
week [1].  it would be very helpful to other folk concerned
with service deployment to understand how the service in
question was/is anycast, and what might be done differently
to mitigate exposure of similar services.

anyone have clues or is this ostrich city?  maybe a preso at
nanog would be educational.

randy

---

[0] - as it seems that the ddos sources were ip address
      spoofed (which is why the service still worked for
      tcp), i owe paul an apology for downplaying the
      immediacy of the need for source address filtering.

[1] - netsol is not admitting anything happened, of course
      <sigh>.  but we all saw the big splash as it hit the
      water, the bubbles as it sank, and the symptoms made
      the cause pretty clear.

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg at netzero.net or fergdawg at sbcglobal.net