Two questions [controlling broadcast storms & netflow software]; seeking offlist responses

K. Scott Bethke scott at carpathiahost.com
Thu May 5 20:30:32 UTC 2005

Hi Drew,

<SNIP>
> One idea I had was to use the black diamond as a layer2 switch and then
> use the GSR to do the routing, but that seems kind of round-about.

Why does this seem round-about?  Depending on the line cards and IOS
revision you are running in that GSR it could be a really good solution.
Black Diamonds in general are not a favorite in the network community right
now (re PAIX) but turning into a layer2 only device probably will get you
the performance/stability that you need at least until you max-out that
layer of your network.

It seems like your design is very much a vanilla hosting setup, using small
blocks of IP's and isolating each server on its own vlan are great
practices.  You will find it rather easy to migrate to the above setup
because of the way you have done things.  Again make sure the line cards and
IOS that you use can support the # of vlans and ARP entries that you
currently support in your BD setup.

_Scott