Acceptable DSL Speeds (ms based)

Andy Johnson andyjohnson at ij.net
Wed May 4 16:28:33 UTC 2005

Luke Parrish wrote:
> My email was confusing since I said the word speed, I would like to ms
> roundtrip for the following:
>
> *1. CPE to first layer 3 hop
> 2. CPE to first layer 3 upstream hop
> 3. CPE to layer 3 exit point of upstream
>
> *Example:
>
> Trace route to www.yahoo.com
>
> <http://www.yahoo.com/>1. 10.10.10.1 (CPE) 1ms
> 2. 10.10.10.254 (DSLAM)(cte) 21ms*(first layer 3 hop)
> *3. 11.1.1.1 (Router)(cte) 24ms
> 4. 5.5.1.3 (upstream interface)(level3) 68ms*(first layer 3 upstream hop)
> *5. 5.4.3.2 (exit point of upstream)(handoff from level3 to at&t) 94ms
> *(layer 3 exit point of upstream)
>
> *Those ms values are what I am curious about. What are other providers
> seeing and what are, in your opinion, acceptable ms times for a home
> 1.5M dsl user...
>
> Luke

The speeds will vary based on the packages built out. When using
interleaved mode (for ADSL anyways), you will see somewhere along the
lines of 20-30ms from the CPE to the DSLAM. When not using interleaved,
I have seen 5-10ms between the CPE and DSLAM. Ofcourse, cable distances
play into this as well I'm sure. And different technologies (SHDSL) will
have different latency figures.

--
Andy