On the record - debunking technical fallacies

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 01:44:09 UTC 2005

--- Dean Anderson <dean at av8.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2005, David Barak wrote:
>
> > Dean has weighed in on topics such as router
> architecture and the
> > ubiquitousness of packet-based-load-balancing in
> backbone networks, and
> > been thoroughly wrong.
>
> I never said that PPLB is ubiquitous (widely
> used--for those not so used
> to big words).  I said that it is possible to see
> it. And that if you see
> it, it will not work with anycast TCP DNS.

Please forgive my misunderstanding.  However, if PPLB
is NOT widely used, why would you particularly care
about its effects?  Avian Carriers are not widely used
either, and I don't much care about their effect on
RTT...

> Second, the router architecture issue about whether
> PPLB was possible on
> certain routers. It is possible on a great number of
> routers. But there
> are some details I missed.

Here I disagree: you made statements about the default
behavior of Cisco and Juniper routers which reflected
an incorrect understanding of the actual workings and
deployed configurations of same.  My argument that
strenuous assertions of incorrect facts weakens
credibility holds.

> Please don't put (wrong) words in my mouth, and then
> say I'm wrong.

I apologize if I misquote or distort in any way, it is
certainly not my intent.  Any search of my previous
postings to NANOG would show that I attempt to be
accurate in representing and commenting on others'
opinions.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com