On the-record - another "off-topic" post

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue May 3 21:20:52 UTC 2005

> bingo. he's already procmail'ed off by anyone who cares. reserve
> moderation for cases where such doesn't work (eg when the person
> in question deliberately evades filtering).

i would be much more restrictive/specific.  i would leave the list
self-moderating except for users who repeatedly violate one of the
following:

  - dominates the list to the extent that others can not use it.
    and note that, even with all of the folk replying to the
    pathetic trogs, this is far from the case

  - posts for-profit commercial use, job ads, ...

  - sends email bounces and vacation messages to the list or to
    legitimate posters to the list

and, while i dislike html, top posting, ... as much as the next
person, they somehow don't strike me as capital crimes.  otoh,
censorship does.

randy

--

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your
right to say it" is widely attributed to Voltaire, but cannot be

Censor, n. An officer of certain governments, employed to supress
the works of genius.  Among the Romans the censor was an inspector
of public morals, but the public morals of modern nations will not
bear inspection.
-- Ambrose Bierce, The Enlarged Devil's Dictionary, 1967