Virus's do not wait for elections :)

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Tue May 3 08:11:15 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 03 May 2005 6:53 am, Colin Johnston wrote:
> Hey folks, just saw this info on UK Gov's ITSafe site
>
> http://www.itsafe.gov.uk/library/news/2005-news-02.html
>
> Call me old fashioned if you want

Get with the modern way Colin ;)

> but this seems crazy, If you ask me
> election time is a time where Gov computers and home computers should be
> protected more especially if E-Voting was to happen. Duh, we wont publish
> because cabinet office guidelines say we should change the advice and
> mention a 45 minute internet meltdown :)

Page 22, Section 6 b) of the regulations cited, mention "There would normally
be no objection to issuing routine factual publications, for example,
guidance to people working in ....."

One can only presume that IT security is such a politically sensitive issue
that this publication needed suppressing as a special case.

Funny I don't remember anyone candidates even mentioning IT security. There
was some mention that Blair can't tell a computer from a pizza box, but then
these days that isn't always easy. Perhaps it was all about chatting with
Bill Gates, or Peter's yacht dwelling friends.

Back to our regularly scheduled North American operations discussion.