FCC To Require 911 for VoIP

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon May 2 19:14:11 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 10:56:57PM -0400, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
> > The PBX intercepts the call and uses special trunks to the PSAP;
> > it also has to send data telling where the caller is.
>
> There are no special trunks to the PSAP from a PBX.

Actually, Martin, there are.

For E-911 campus-type service, at least.

You apparently need to use either a PRI or a CAMA trunk to extend the
calling PBX extension number to the PSAP, so it can ALI the appropriate
location for the dispatcher.

See

http://www.911etc.com/pbx_solutions.html
 as well as
http://www.xo.com/products/smallgrowing/voice/local/psali/

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me